2017/04/07

Vegangelical Review

When I saw Vegangelical, I was pleasantly surprised that there are some books about veganism and Christianity out there. And because I am currently on a vegan fast, I thought that now was the perfect time to read it!




And when I read it, I was even more surprised that this book was balanced, convincing and not racidal at all(because both Christians and vegans can be quite radical sometimes). I really liked it. 

Sarah Withrow King shows that it is possible to interpret Scripture in a way that not only tolerates, but recommends a vegan diet and that we as humans need to treat animals well. And she also proves that there is no scriptural ground whatsoever to justify violence against animals. What I really liked about the book was that she not only focused on factory farms, but she also gave examples of animal abuse in zoos, circuses, the pet industry and in the fur and leather production. And even though these examples were hard to read, she did not expand them more than necessary to achieve a shocking effect. She rather let these examples speak for themselves. I really appreciated that. 

The writing was good and I could easily understand her train of thought. The biblical concepts she explained did not seem far-fetched but made a lot of sense. There are also a few questions at the end of each chapter for personal reflection and these questions were very good and balanced. 

I would recommend this book to anyone who's interested in a Christian argumentation for veganism. Because this book is very balanced and the author does not try to force the reader to agree with her, this book can be read and enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans alike. 


Disclaimer: I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Just to avoid any misunderstandings: Please keep in mind that this book represents one interpretation among many possible interpretations of Scripture. I recommend it because it was really interesting to read about, but I of course also respect different interpretations. As you might know, I am not vegan except for this year's Lent, so by recommending this book, I don't want to say that all Christians need to be vegan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Please note that every comment will be reviewed before it appears on here :)