2017/04/13

Fasting #2 - Preparations

Before starting my vegan fast, I made sure that I prepared myself well. I made a meal plan for the first two weeks and noted down all the ingredients I would need to prepare the recipes. I also bought a few vegan items to try them out and to replace dairy products. In this post, I want to give you a few tips for preparing a vegan time, no matter if you're fasting or if you want to change your diet permanently or if you just want to try being vegan for a short time.  






A meal plan


I think a meal plan is really helpful when you try out a new diet. It is easy to fall back into old patterns when you don't know what to eat. For my meal plan, I picked a few easy dishes that I like and that I know taste good, like spaghetti with tomato sauce, a big salad and a few vegetable soups. These recipes are usually vegan, and if they aren't, it's easy to replace these ingredients. 
But the meal plan also helped me to plan my trips to the grocery store. 


Substitutes - What do I really need? 


There are lots of products out there to replace milk, butter, cheese, meat etc.. It seems like you can replace every animal product you like. But in my experience, these replacement don't always taste like the thing that they claim to replace... or worse, they don't taste good at all. So instead of completely relying on these products, I would recommend to try cooking without them most of the time. 

The things that I use the most are soy cream and vegan sour cream. I also like to drink vanilla soy milk and from time to time, I eat vegan cheese or vegan cream cheese. But there is only one brand that I like. So a second suggestion concerning substitutes would be to find a brand or type of product (soy, almonds, wheat etc.) that you like. You might need to try a few things before you find something you like. Instead of going to the store and buying every vegan thing you find, you should start with a few things and try to cook without them the rest of the time. 


Restaurants - How to avoid drama


Going to a restaurant with friends can be quite exhausting when there isn't a vegan option on the menu. That's why I tried to avoid eating out during the fast. And when we did eat out, I checked the menu beforehand to see if there were any vegan options. And I would recommend you to do the same or if the menu isn't available online, you could call the restaurant and ask if they have vegan options. 

A vegan fast would also be a great opportunity to try out a vegan restaurant. 

These were my ideas on how to prepare for a vegan fast and they have really helped me! If you have any other ideas, please tell me in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Please note that every comment will be reviewed before it appears on here :)