2017/03/09

Loaded Potatoes (vegan/non-vegan)

I've always wanted to try loaded potatoes or twice baked potatoes, but most recipes aren't vegan and wouldn't be possible to eat during my vegan fast. But when I found vegan crème fraîche at the store, I decided to give it a try. And right after I decided that we would have this for dinner, I saw that Sister in the Mid-west from Simple Inspirations had also shared a delicious-looking recipe for twice baked potatoes. 
However, I didn't bake the potatoes twice because it was already a little late and I was a little lazy, so these are just loaded potatoes. I think this recipe might also be great when you have some left-over chili. 




Additionally, my boyfriend had some ground meat and bacon because he doesn't participate in my fast. So I added these as optional ingredients. And you can of course use real cheese and crème fraîche. 

It was really delicious!

Ingredients (serves 2):

2-3 medium-sized potatoes per person
a little bit of margarine
salt

for the kidney beans:
1 can of kidney beans
6 tablespoons of tomato sauce
3 small onions
2 spring onions
smoked paprika, black pepper, sugar, cayenne pepper, salt
a little bit of oil

toppings:
(vegan) crème fraîche
(vegan) grated cheese
2 spring onions, cut in rings

optional:
100 g ground meat
3 slices of bacon

Wash the potatoes thoroughly. Prick the potatoes a few times with a fork. Give them a rub with some margarine and salt, then wrap them in aluminium foil. Bake them at 200°C/ 390°F for about an hour until they are done. You can test if they are done by poking them with a fork to see if it sticks or not. If it doesn't stick, they are done. 

While the potatoes are in the oven, cut the onions and spring onions into small pieces. Heat some oil in a pot and sauté them until they are tender. Drain the beans and add 
them in with the tomato sauce and the spices. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes. 

If you use ground meat, brown it in a pan and season it with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika. If you use bacon, fry it in a pan (you can use the same pan that you used for the ground meat). 

When the potatoes are done, take them out of the foil, cut them in half and serve them with the beans, meat, bacon, some grated cheese and a spoonful of crème fraîche. Sprinkle the spring onion rings on top. 

1 comment:

  1. These look and sound delicious! Thank you for putting a good word in for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Please note that every comment will be reviewed before it appears on here :)