2016/11/18

DIY Advent Calendar


Advent calendars are one of my favorite things about Christmas! Each day a new little surprise, 24 days in a row. When I was a kid, my mother made an advent calendar for me and my sister where we would take turns on opening little bags of felt to find sweets and other little presents. When we got older, we both got store-bought advent calendars because we thought they were "cooler", but looking back, the one my mother made is the best one I've ever had. 

Now that I don't live at home anymore, things have changed a bit. Last year, I had an advent calendar with different chocolates in it. This year, I decided to do something different:
instead of wishing for an advent calendar, I made two to give them away. One for my boyfriend and one for my mother. The one for my mother is meant to thank her for all the years when she made one for me. And there's also an ongoing thing between my mother and my stepfather where she asks for an advent calendar but he refuses to buy her one for whatever reason and in the end, she has to buy one for herself. But not this year! 

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time and material to crochet little sachets or some other cute packaging, so I decided to just wrap the surprises in wrapping paper. I put all the presents in a shoebox that I also wrapped in paper. 


What did I put inside the advent calendar? 


I can't tell you what exactly I put in the advent calendars because my boyfriend occasionally reads my blog, but I can give you some examples: Miniature versions of their favourite sweets, little snacks to take to work, two organic soap bars for my mom and some christmas-related sweets. 

I can't wait to see their reactions when they open the first packages! I think both my mom and my boyfriend will like their advent calendars. 

This is the first post about our Christmas family traditions. There are more to come!

Do you also have advent calendars at home or is this more of a German/European thing?

What are some of the family traditions you have in the time leading up to Christmas? 

Post was shared at: 






2 comments:

  1. Advent calendars are such a lovely tradition and I'm sure your mother and boyfriend will love theirs. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Please note that every comment will be reviewed before it appears on here :)