2016/10/06

The New Rules For Love, Sex And Dating Review

Here's the second book review and it's once again a book about relationships. The book I'm talking about is "The New Rules For Love, Sex, and Dating" by Andy Stanley. You might already know Andy Stanley because he's written lots of books, but this is the first of his books that I've read. 



And I don't know about you, but I always feel a little embarrassed when I buy a book that has the word "sex" in its title. Even with a book like this :D But it's worth the embarassment! I liked it a lot. 


It has 144 pages and I think that's an appropriate length. There's also a study guide at the end of the book, so you can read it in a group or alone. And, if you're not a fan of reading, there's a video series that accompagnies the book! (You can either buy the DVD or watch it for free on Youtube). 

So what is this book about? The bottom line of it is "Become the person you're looking for is looking for". Andy points out that many people spend a lot of time looking for the right person, but they don't spend any time on becoming a good person. And I think he's absolutely right! He also gives specific advise how to focus on personal growth before somebody starts dating. 
But this book is also about love; for example, the first chapter is an analysis of a few verses from Corinthians and the qualities of love. And, yes, there are also two chapters about sex and what not to do. 

The style was clear and very accessible. I liked that he was very honest, but I never felt like he was lecturing me. Although the book is not as deep as some other books, it's still not superficial. I think that when you just started to rethink your attitudes towards dating and relationships, this book is a great starting point. I would recommend it for age 18 and up, I think it is excellent for college-age people who are about to start dating. But it's not just for young adults, everyone who thinks about dating or finding a partner in whatever way possible can read it. 

Sheila Wray-Gregoire from tolovehonorandvacuum.com also did a review on this book! You can find it here. 

Did you already know the book? Or do you know Andy Stanley? And as always, you can leave recommendations for other books in the comments :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Please note that every comment will be reviewed before it appears on here :)