2016/08/12

Cooking With Grandma + A New Recipe


On Wednesday, I visited my beloved grandparents. They're quite an inspiration, as they're married for more than 50 years, but they're still in love and banter with each other like a young couple. I really enjoy every visit. This time, my grandma and I made Soßkartoffel, that's basically potatoes in a creamy sauce. It's been one of my favorite dishes in my childhood and I would beg her everytime I visited her to cook them. In fact, I still do that today :D 


We took the potatoes and the herbs straight out of my grandpa's little garden. He always shares his fresh vegetables with my family, most of the time cucumbers and pumpkins. But he also grows lettuce, tomatoes, kohlrabi, carots and sometimes strawberries. I included some pictures so you can have a look :) 



Fresh Oregano


These tomatoes still need to turn red :D


Baby cucumbers

Soßkartoffel

This recipe is one that my grandma's grandmother already made. So it's really one of the traditional recipes in our family. 

Ingredients (serves about 3):
10 medium size potatoes 
1 onion
olive oil
1 bay leave
2 cloves
1 teaspoon vegetable stock (powder)
pepper
nutmeg
2 teaspoons crème fraîche
2 teaspoons cream cheese 
75 ml (ca. 1/3 cup) tomato puree
curry powder 
salt (optional)
a mixture of fresh or dried herbs (such as basil, oregano, thyme, parsley etc.)

Peel the potatoes and cut them into a shape similar to fries. Dice the onion and heat the olive oil in a pan. Add in the potatoes and roast them until they turn golden. Add in the onion after a few minutes. When the potatoes start to turn crispy, add in about 100ml (a little less than half a cup) of water and cook until the potatoes are done. If you're using dried herbs, put them in now. 



In the meantime, combine the crème fraiche and the cream cheese in a bowl. Take the fresh herbs and puree them with a sip of water (or simply chop them). When the potatoes are done, add in the crème/cheese mix, the tomato puree and the herbs. Season with curry powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Wait until the sauce starts to simmer, then take it off the heat. 

Serve with fresh chives sprinkled on top. We had a bean salad and some fish with it :)





Bon appetit!


If you've tried out this recipe, my grandma would love to know if you liked it!

Post was shared at




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Please note that every comment will be reviewed before it appears on here :)